Replacing ancient smoke detector advice?

TomU

Until we had a home safety visit from the London Fire Brigade we only had one smoke detector previously.

But they could only fit two ionization 10 year sealed battery life mini smoke detectors for free.

And stupidity mum choose the converted loft instead of replacing the ancient smoke detector in the downstairs hall.

At least the upstairs hall now has one, as there was nothing there before.

The ancient smoke detector which is a First Alert round type off-white creamy colour. Not sure of it's age but I reckon around 15 years old or older. As we moved into the house over 11 years ago and it was there from the previous people, but still surpisingly working when the test button is pressed, but how well is another matter.....

It's just an ionization type and doesn't have a hush button.

The trouble is I don't own the house, as I'm just her son, and whenever there is ALOT of cooking fumes it goes off. Mum takes the battery out and I always have to remember to put it back in.

I did my research and an optical smoke detector for the downstairs hall and heat alarm in the kitchen would be the best option?

But mum thinks putting up new detectors would ruin the new paintwork. So how effective are those sticky pads keeping up the detectors for many years?

As I saw the London Fire Brigade when they came round and did a home safety visit, that they put up the detectors with some sort of adhesive in a tube.

To make matters worse I got asthma and epilepsy(lucky it's the type where I don't go un-concious) and I'm a deep sleeper, so in the event of a real fire if it ever occured we would need to get out fast.

Also as I'm such a very heavy sleeper and on medication for my epilepsy which makes me drousy.

I think I'll have a smoke detector in my bedroom as well as I might sleep through the one in the upstairs hallway. Especially as I have my door closed at night.

But what type, ionization or optical? Nothing electrical left on overnight except for mobile phone chargers.

However the room next door has ALOT of computer equipment like a printer,monitors,etc that are left on at the mains socket 24/7 365.

And also a vibration pad would help, however I can't have the strobe part as it would effect me. So can you link a smoke detector to a vibration pad, without the strobe unit?

Hi Tom

Sounds like you really could do with interlinked smoke alarms, considering that you might not hear an alarm being set off in the kitchen at night. I would suggest battery operated radio-interlinked smoke alarms in your case.

Kitchen: heat alarm

hallway, bedrooms, living rooms: optical smoke alarm

landing: ionisation smoke alarm

The self-adhesive stickers work a treat but you have to remember that you need to take the alarm off after 10 years, so some painting might be needed then.

There is a radio-interlinked smoke alarm family available with Strobe/vibration pad units

One thing intrigues me, you mention a loft conversion. Normally, when converting lofts you will have to install interlinked smoke alarms in the now converted loft and along the escape route. That does not seem to have happened.

Harry