Are refurbished fire extinguishers allowed in a business environment?

Guest rethrohayn

Guest rethrohayn

Hi

we are kitting out a community centre with extinguishers after the renovation of the building. The cheapest extinguishers I could find where refurbished CO2 extinguishers. I think they miss the kitemark. Can we really use these, or does it have to be all new?

Thanks

Yes you can use refurbished fire extinguishers (overhauled) but there are very few types that it makes economic sense to refurbish possible CO2 and some dry powders but quite often it’s cheaper to buy new. It needs to be done in accordance with BS 5306: Part 3: 2000 and other standards therefore if there is no kite mark then that is not acceptable.

In most normal situations you require very few CO2 extinguishers and if you are considering only CO2 then you have been watching too many star trek movies and are need of a competent person to help you. Check out http://www.firesafe....uisher-general/

Hi Tom

Just checked with our manufacturer who supplies our CO2 refurbs. Their answer was:

It is not possible to Kitemark a refurbished CO2 extinguishers as BSI will not permit the use of their mark for refurbs. This is linked to the fact that they cannot certify the origin of the cylinder (issue of traceability). However, BAFE is approving the refurbs we are selling and there is a 21 step process involved to stress test and pressure test the cylinders to ensure the integrity of the cylinder. The cylinders are also sand-blasted, re-painted and labeled and then fitted with brand new head valve assemblies.

Whilst they can be used in new installations, they are mainly used to replace existing CO2 extinguishers when an extinguisher reaches 10 years.

Harry

• 1 year later...
Guest john hackett

does anybody have the answer for the discharging of foam extinguishers .Where can you pour the foam . I have been told that you can poured down a foul sewer.

• 4 years later...
On 4/25/2013 at 15:24, Guest john hackett said:

does anybody have the answer for the discharging of foam extinguishers .Where can you pour the foam . I have been told that you can poured down a foul sewer.

Check out http://www.water.org.uk/publications/water-industry-guidance/disposal-contaminated-water-october-2012 I know it is for large quanties of contaminated water but I would think it applies to smaller quanties aswell. 

2 hours ago, Guest Mandy said:

Hi Tom Would you be happy with an extinguisher with no kitemark? Thanks Mandy

To be sure of getting what you pay for, I personally would insist on the kitemark to ensure it has met the EN 3 standard and for the present, the CE logo.

9 hours ago, Guest Mandy said:

Hi Tom

Would you be happy with an extinguisher with no kitemark?

Thanks

Mandy

Why not? The legal requirement is a CE mark and a well established manufacturer has a range of extinguishers without a kitemark. Also prestige polished finish extinguishers are fine but not kitemarked.

I've personally watched CO2 extinguishers being overhauled and refurbished along the production line and have seen nothing to concern me. Most started out as kitemarked anyway!

I prefer kitemarked product but don't treat non kitemarked stuff as unsuitable.

• 2 months later...
On 4/25/2013 at 15:24, Guest john hackett said:

Any foam extinguisher I service that are out of date or need a full overhaul I discharge them down the foul sewer as well, when I did my BAFE course the chap from CHUBB said that's what most engineers do.

• 1 year later...
Guest Richard

Hello,

I see this thread is quite old but the topic 'fire extinguishers' is relevant so here goes.

I wonder if anyone can advise me on where to find expired, or used 2 kg co2 fire extinguishers? We are doing a motorcycle engineering project and we have a use for some cylinders and actually perhaps other parts too. The alloy unpainted ones would be easier but in fact any co2 2kg ones would be useful.

I would appreciate some info if there is any out there.

Thanks

Richard

Loads on eBay, plus I often have loads pulled off sites. They are popular with people with tropical fish tanks too as they use them for the plants or something (not my thing). The empty cylinders have a trade scrap value of a few quid as they can be pressure tested and refilled.