Posted 03 January 2012 - 11:01 PM
Posted 04 January 2012 - 08:42 AM
There is also the possibility that fumes come from a neighbouring property into the building. We had a CO detector in one of our kids' bedrooms located on the second floor of a semi-detached house. There was no fuel burning appliance on either the first or second floor in our house. Nevertheless, the CO detector picked up a significant CO reading (it was a digital CO detector). We found out that the carbon monoxide was coming from our neighbour's leaking chimney stack which allowed CO into the loftspace and down the loft hatch into our child's bedroom!
Did you have any open fire? These also create carbon monoxide.
And yes, the CO alarm could be at the end of its life. They only last between 5 and 7 years. I am not aware of any manufacturers who can produce longer lasting CO sensors.
Posted 04 January 2012 - 11:07 AM
Posted 04 January 2012 - 03:11 PM
Why was the removal of the CO badges recommended? I fully understand the need for active CO detectors but why not use visual CO detectors as a backup? Also is there any independent reports on this subject using UK's main CO alarm manufacturer reviewed the badges which would be a competitor for his products leaves me a little suspicious.
Posted 04 January 2012 - 04:45 PM
Their main concern was that the CO patches did not have an audible alarm. So, if the patch detects any dangerous concentration of CO the people in the building would still be exposed to carbon monoxide, as they are very unlikely to check the colour of the patch turning from brown to black at that moment. Many deaths occur when people are sleeping or dozing, so there is no way these patches could help to prevent those deaths in these situations. The patches also only lasted 6 months, so that people seeing a discolourisation would be unsure if this was due to CO or age. What did not help either was the fact that in a test none of the patches detected concentrations of 50ppm and even at 350ppm not every model changed colour!
Posted 04 January 2012 - 07:45 PM
Makes sense but as I have already said I would always use an active (electrochemical) detector and supplement it with a visual CO detector if it started playing up. During research I came up with a couple of websites one English and the other an American which discussed this subject in some depth which proved interesting. One suggested you should go for a digital version if you can afford it, because it will detect lower levels of CO well before it reaches danger levels as a result I will certainly consider this.
Posted 24 January 2012 - 12:35 PM
I have read this thread with interest. One thing that has not been covered is that if an alarm has gone off there may be carbon monoxide leaking. Many people whose co alarms go off tend to believe that it is a faulty alarm and take the alarm's batteries out or remove it from where it is going off. If you have an alarm and it goes off I would suggest that you presume it has detected co and not that it is faulty.
If your alarm goes off and you want to double check that it was not a false alarm take the alarm outside to clear the sensor. Once the alarm has stopped alarming take it back to where it had alarmed. If it goes off a second time contact the gas board. Open windows and check that everyone in the house is feeling OK. The symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning can be drowsiness or flue like symptoms and headache.
Remember the carbon monoxide may not be coming from an appliance of yours so even if you have not had your heating on or had an open fire it could be seeping through the walls of your house.
Hope you have got your problem resolved, might be worth checking if you are attached to another property that your neighbours have a carbon monoxide alarm too.
Posted 26 November 2013 - 05:55 PM
Posted 26 November 2013 - 06:02 PM
If you take the alarm outside and after a few minutes it still alarms, then I would suspect a defect on the alarm and would suggest to replace.
Sometimes, chemicals can damage a sensor (car batteries being charged in the house, hair spray etc).
Posted 26 November 2013 - 09:55 PM
To add to what Harry said.
If it "beeps" every 90 seconds or so, it is indicating its batteries need replacing, it is NOT in alarm condition.
You should change the batteries, or if it is a sealed unit replace it.
If it is in "alarm condition" take it outside, wait for it to stop. Take it back inside, if it goes into alarm again, repeat, if it goes into alarm again it has detected carbon monoxide.
Safelincs can supply one which is a combined smoke and Carbon monoxide alarm, not only does it beep, it SPEAKS (So you know if its smoke or carbon monoxide) CLICK HERE For more information.
The above is only my opinion.
Posted 20 January 2014 - 08:07 PM
Hi my CO alarm sounded tonight, its defo not flat batteries and they was replaced within the last six months I didn't know how to stop it so I removed the batteries and replaced them straight away and as not gone off since this was 1/2 hour ago, what I believe it could be is we have a integral garage underneath the house and I had started my Jeep up to put it on some ramps for repairs but this was 3.5 hours ago.
Posted 25 January 2014 - 10:55 AM
It could of course be CO, as cars are producing plenty of it. Did you maybe charge your car battery in the living accommodation. Car batteries when being charged produce hydrogen and oxygen and the hydrogen can set off your CO alarms.
Posted 03 February 2014 - 08:37 AM
I assume that this post refers to a full-blown alarm rather than just a low battery warning.
Always assume that the alarm is real. That means open up all windows, switch off all gas appliances and, if possible, other forms of burners/fires, send your family outside. Take the CO alarm outside with yourself (if possible).
Check that the lifespan of the detector is not exceeded. Most CO alarms up to now had a 5, 6 or 7 year lifespan. However, some of the newer models are 10 year long-life carbon monoxide detectors.
See if the alarm stops after about 10 to 15 minutes outside. If it continues after that time, the unit is probably faulty.
If the alarm stops within 10 to 15 minutes outside, you might have CO gas in your premises. Call out the relevant service. Please find the telephone number in this article.
Please note that certain chemicals can trigger a false CO alarm. If you are charging a car or boat batteries inside your home, the hydrogen produced by the battery can trigger a false alarm.
Posted 04 April 2014 - 10:50 PM
I have no idea why your detector is making a crackling noise, I suggest you take it down and have a look, there may be water in it. I say this because I have seen it a few times where there has been a leak via the floor above and water has come through a ceiling mounted detector. If it is mains operated, turn the mains off first.
What ever the case, it is not repairable and I suggest you change it.
The above is only my opinion.