Where to install a CO alarm

Guest Benbo

Could you please help with where I need to install my carbon monoxide alarm. I have heard that it is heavier than air so should be installed low down but also that it should be installed higher up than that.

Thanks

Hi

Actually, at room temperature carbon monoxide weighs about the same as air and therefore distributes evenly. The only areas you need to avoid are areas of strong circulation (above and below windows and radiators) and areas of 'dead' circulation (above wardrobes, in the corners of a room). I would recommend you install it at face height so you can see the notifications of your CO detector and can easily change batteries.

Harry

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

Hi there!

After reading this post I just wanted to add a comment about carbon monoxide - it is a gas that is deadly to both pets and humans, plus there is no way to know if you have a carbon monoxide leak in your house until it is too late- unless you have a CO alarm. I found out lots of information from this website by a company called corgi homeplan (http://corgi-homeplan-how-safe-is-your-home.org/carbon-monoxide/) and I have had a CO alarm installed in my house as I have 3 dogs and 2 children (a bit of a mad house - I know!) but I thought it would be the responsible thing to do.

I hope you find this helpful!

• 1 year later...