Maintained versus Non-Maintained

Guest suetay

Maintained emergency escape lighting remains illuminated 24/7. It is often used in places of assembly like theatres, cinemas, entertainment halls and such. Non-maintained emergency light remains off until the mains supply fails. If an automatic testing system is not installed both types have to be tested regularly.

• 7 months later...
Guest CarlWill

Is the choice of non-maintained versus maintained depending from the ambient light levels?

Somebody told me that maintained lights would be installed in areas of low lighting. That does not make any sense to me

Maintained emergency lighting is required when a low level of light is required for safety reasons at all times the premises is in use. It remains on whether the normal lighting is on or off, like cinemas, theatres, clubs and other premises where this facility is desirable.

Non-maintained emergency lighting is normally off when the normal lighting is on and only switches on if the normal lighting supply should fail like during a fire. (offices, shops factories, etc)

http://www.firesafe.org.uk/emergency-lighting/

• 4 weeks later...

hi Carl

Maintained emergency lighting has the advantage that any failure of the lighting tube can be spotted immediately. Otherwise, only a emergency light test would reveal the fault.

In addition, by using maintained exit signs, you inform visitors all the time about the exit locations (eg in a darkened cinema).

Harry

• 1 year later...
Guest Katherine

Hi

We are renting an office and at present we have one emergency light above the fire exit which only comes on if the power fails.

I was under the impression that the fire exit should always be lit.

Please can you help?

Katherine

• 1 year later...
  • 7 months later...

Hi all can you help with something, have changed jobs recently, during testing emergency lights I failed any maintained lights  (with twin lamps) that worked on battery but not mains power as they are not working correctly, but they are saying it passes because it came on with the battery. But in my opinion if it was a maintained exit sign in a cinema that only lit when the power went out then it would be a fail.  Surely thats the same?

What is your opinions??

Many thanks

Chris

Is a maintained or a non-maintained system required, what does the FRA say, it all depends on the type of premises involved and you can get luminaires that can be configured for both.

I am not an expert on how emergency luminaires are wired but in a maintained system the emergency light should remain on when the normal lighting is switched off and remain on 24/7 if the normal supply is interrupted for a least 3 hours. In a non maintained system the emergency light will remain off until the normal supply is isolated and the battery will illuminate the emergency light for at least 3 hours.

If this is what happens then it has passed the test.

Check out http://www.firesafe.org.uk/emergency-lighting/ 

Edited by Tom Sutton

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
On 17/10/2011 at 3:12 PM, Tom Sutton said:

Maintained emergency escape lighting remains illuminated 24/7. Often it is switched off when the premises are empty to preserve the life of the bulbs and is used in places of assembly like theatres, cinemas, entertainment halls and such. Non-maintained emergency light remains off until the mains supply fails and if central batteries (one large central battery for entire building) are not installed there is usually a small LED that indicates the internal battery is being charged. If an automatic testing system is not installed both have to be tested regularly.

How can maintained emergency lighting 'remain illuminated 24/7' (24/7 means 24 hours a day and seven days a week) and also 'often switched off' (when premises are empty)? No wonder I find maintained / non-maintained emergency lighting difficult to understand.

Or maybe it is the quantum version of emergency lighting, both 'ON' and 'OFF' at the same time!

Maintained emergency lights are always lit, normally via the permanent live feed from the mains and then switching to batteries upon mains failure.

Conversion kit and combined fittings take a traditional light fitting that can be switched off & on and fit a battery pack so mains failure causes one lamp to be illuminated. 

You can wire a maintained fitting so the lamp switches on and off like other lighting, defaulting to always on via the batteries upon failure of the mains.

Clear as mud!

I stand corrected and withdraw the term 24/7 but I have seen maintained EL lit for 24 hours and others when the building is empty, the normal lighting including the EL is isolated when the occupier leaves the premises. The purpose is when the premises is occupied and the normal lighting is dimmed or extinguished like in cinemas, theatres, clubs ect, the EL remains on providing sufficient light to evacuate the premises if necessary.

Check out http://www.safelincs.co.uk/introduction-to-emergency-lighting/    http://www.firesafe.org.uk/emergency-lighting/