Problems with fitting FD60s doors in general needs high rise.

Guest Steve

Guest Steve

Working in local authority ,following Grenfell the plan is two upgrade to fd60 doors on all high rise flats.We already have historical problems with residents removing self closers ,maintenance and certification of older doors.The benchmark guidance is FD30s ,is FD60 the right way forward?

Your historical problems will not improve not matter which fire doors you fit except for the certification of older doors. If you give me the full details, I can point you to the the correct guidance, but if you wish to increase the level of fire resistance that is a matter for the Responsible Person.

Until the Grenfell Inquiry makes recommendations any knee jerk broad brush response is premature and possibly unnecessary. The LGA Guide has been restated as the benchmark and exceeding it should be based on an individual risk assessment.

What you should do is..............Inform the residents about the importance of self-closing fire doors with effective smoke seals. Inspections by FDIS inspectors have shown these to be common faults and a recent inspection for a housing association found 57% of newly installed fire doors were non compliant on these issues alone. If you need help,let me know.