New wallpaper and carpet

Guest Jane Applegate

Guest Jane Applegate

Can anyone advise - I live in on 7th floor and my neighbour has redecorated the hallway outside our flats.  He has put up a wallpaper and a new carpet.  Are there any fire regulations he should have complied with when he chose the materials?  He has also put a table with flowers on it which looks lovely but could be a tripping hazard surely?  He got agreement from the Leaseholder before he did the decorating works but I have asked and they are not prepared to discuss the matter with me.  

Wallpaper has to meet a class O surface spread of flame in circulation spaces and most do, except heavy and flock wallpapers.

Most carpet has to have some degree of fire resistance. When buying carpet look out for reference to BS 4790 on labelling and informational documentation. Compliance with these would indicate a 35mm radius of fire spread which is the specification for low fire spread carpets to be used in protected fire escape routes or other sensitive areas.

In a normal household any standard carpet should have sufficient fire resistance to be suitable for use in most occupied areas.

Carpet used in escape route need to pass the hot nut test for low fire spread as described in the above BS's and if you find a fire resistant spray, it would need to certify the carpet to that standard.

The table could be a tripping hazard and if the neighbour will not discuss the matter with you need to speak to the Responsible Person who could be the owner of the building or a management company. Failing this contact the local Fire and Rescue Service and voice your concerns. 

http://www.firesafe.org.uk/uk-fire-rescue-services-details/