Housing Association Property

Disabled

I am registered mentally and physically disabled and was offered a property by a Housing Association 11 months ago which I accepted on a Starter Tenancy. The property was advertised as having some disabled facilities such as external access to front door and low level access wet room, which in fact turned out to be far too small for me with no chance of a seat being installed. My carer has to help me wash my lower body and so I have been arguing the point for a while now, with OT Reports confirming the property is not suitable for my needs. There are several other issues (works) that need to be attended to by the Housing Association including the widening of all doors to allow my wheelchair easy access and kitchen worktops lowered. As things stand I have about a quarter of an inch either side of my wheelchair wheels and hit my knuckles on the door frames as I use my wheelchair internally also, but the Housing Association consistently drag their heels and do nothing despite my written complaints involving their CEO with a formal complaint and recently the Housing Ombudsman, which is ongoing. However, with that snippet of history painting a picture, now to the point of my post here. The property only has one door for entry/exit and the threshold bar is too high making it difficult for me to get over in my wheelchair, apart from the width issue. Beyond the door is a short corridor, kitchen, sitting room, another short corridor, wet room and the bedroom at the rear of the property when standing at the only door to the property. Three waist high double glazed windows in the property (sitting room, wet room, bedroom) are big enough to allow an able bodied person to escape in the event of fire have keys and locks, but the keys turn round a full 360 degrees (thus broken) rather than from say horizontal to 45 degrees, allowing the window to be unlocked and opened. The Housing Association refuse to repair/replace the window locks saying I don't know how to operate them, which itself is reason for alarm you would think, but as I am disabled I wouldn't be able to get out of the window. Further, I suspect if there was a fire I might well be confused, inhaling smoke, disorientated and perhaps unable to find the position to allow the windows to be unlocked anyway. There are many issues that I have with the Housing Association and I have asked to be rehoused, with OT Reports making me an urgent priority when another property becomes available, but I don't want to be in this position, which I know risks my life 24/7 and so today I was going to ask the local Fire Service for help regarding Regulations and the number of doors required, but in searching for information online I came across this site and thought I would ask for your opinion. Any help would be appreciated, thank you! (Written and typed by a friend)

A person in your situation or anybody above the first floor would not use escape windows as a mean of escape from fire and the front door is your means of escape, to a refuge or maybe the premises has a stay put policy. Consequently being able to open them is more of a domestic ventilation problem than a fire safety problem.

Without have a great deal more information and ideally a survey of the premises, it is impossible to give an opinion on the suitability of the means of escape from fire. Therefore I would suggest you apply for a free home fire safety check from the local Fire and Rescue Service.

Contact them using  http://www.firesafe.org.uk/uk-fire-rescue-services-details/ to arrange their visit.

The Fire Service will offer useful advice, but are not the enforcement agency - if they reveal that there is an undue risk to you then you should (if the fire service don't automatically refer it under a Memorandum of Understanding for fire safety enforcement in residential premises) contact the Local Authority Environmental Health Officer who can inspect and enforce under the Housing Act 2004.

• 3 years later...
Guest Daughter and carer

My mum lives in a bungalow which is part of a sheltered housing complex. She too only has one door and is expected to use the window as a secondary means of escape in case of fire. I there’s is no way she would get up in the sill etc as she has mobility issues. She even has to use a step to get into bed!!! I have asked for the window to be replaced by a door but housing Association refused. I am not only concerned about her inability to get out of the window if required I’m more concerned that her bungalow is not in a very ‘safe’  area and unless she has the escape window open she has no way of allowing fresh air to circulate. Leaving these windows open is not safe  nor is it an option considering the man in the next bungalow left his bedroom window slightly ajar to allow air in and a youth pushed the window open during the night and got in. The neighbour confronted the burglar and sub stained severe injuries. I have asked my mum not to have windows open for her own safety , she is more than likely going to fall asleep without closing the window and , as she is losing her hearing she would never hear if anyone climbed in through the open window. . Restrictors cannot be fitted in the openings of the windows as it’s a “means of escape in case of fire. Which means she can not have window slightly ajar for fresh air and still feel safe and secure. What is the housing association Obligation in such circumstances ? Surely, especially during the pandemic it is vital that air circulates ??? My mother surely  should be able to have air circulating in her home without feeling venerable and apprehensive . Also her garden is at the end of the bungalow , the end with no door .  She is expected to keep garden nice but she is unable to walk the distance all the way round her bungalow and more to get into it. The last time she tried to get round into the garden she had to put tools into a bag and drop them into the garden from her lounge window . She attempted to walk round with her frAme however she nearly fell and began to feel unwell. A kind  neighbour ran out and helped her and got her back safely into her bungalow.. Would the points I raised be enough to ensure her need for a door and a window with a small opener ( to allow circulation of fresh air) is agreed snd met by the housing association. Does anyone have advise as to where i stand / what I need to do next.?

thanks

Escape windows are not only required for self rescue they provide means for a third party to effect a rescue i.e. fire service. Also locks (with or without removable keys) and opening stays (with child-resistant release catches) may be fitted to escape windows and mechanical air vents could be fitted for ventilation. Regarding the garden the council may be able to provide help through social services.

I would have thought that the housing association has met their statutory requirements  and all that is open to you is persuasion.