Escape window locks

Guest SusanAll

Guest SusanAll

Hi, looking for advice.

I have been approached by my tenant, who has young children, they would like me to fit window locks to the upstairs windows. My house was built in 2003, at the time, I myself had young children. I asked the builder at the time about putting window locks on the upstairs windows and was told by the builder, that new builds were not allowed to fit window locks to upstairs windows as they were an escape route should a fire occur.
Can you tell me if this is still the rules as my tenant seems to think the rules have now changed.
I would hate to have window locks installed and be responsible, if there were a fire and they could not get out.
Maybe the best way forward would be to say to the tenant, should he wish to install window locks to the upstairs windows, I would have no objection but he would have to install them himself and take full responsibility for ensuring that keys are kept in a safe place and accessible at all times.

Please advise, kindest regards, Susan