Double fire doors in home

Guest CherylH

Guest CherylH

Hi

I have a double door as entrance between kitchen and hallway that I believe needs to be fire doors, do I have to buy a 'double door' frame and kit (note these are in excess of 1k) or can I buy two fire doors and fit with the intumescent door strips?

Thanks

Cheryl

If this alteration is subject to the Building Regulations then Approved Document B (fire safety) volume 1: dwellinghouses would be the guidance and it recommends FD20 fire doors, except a door between the house and an integral garage (page 64). It is generally accepted that a substantial well fitting door would be acceptable and a standard fire door should meet that criteria. You should confirm this with the local Building Control which may be of help. 

Hi CherylH,

You don't say if the work you are doing is subject to building regulations? What I can tell you is that not all timber fire doors are suitable to be used as a pair. Fire doors are fire performance tested for certain configurations (double leaf, single leaf, single swing action, double swing etc) so my advice would be to make sure you purchase fire doors that have evidence of fire performance where used as a pair of double doors.

Don't forget to correctly fit the cold smoke seals too.