Fire Door - need a self-closer?

Our house has a fire door between the utility room and garage and, at the moment, it has a Perko self-closer fitted.

I have seen comments in some places that it is no longer a requirement to have self-closing devices fitted and would like to remove it as the slamming drives me mad. I don't think it would be a safety issues as it is closed 99+% of time and only propped open when bringing the shopping in!

Can anyone give me a definitive answer as to when, or not, self-closers need to be fitted to fire doors.

Thanks

The door between house and garage is one of the few places you have to have a self closer, the other being front doors of flats.

The requirement to fit is part of Building Regulations - once fitted and approved what happens thereafter is up to the householder in a single private dwelling - you can remove it if you want you aren't subject to fire safety legislation

• 1 year later...
Guest Chris

Hi,

We are a small contractor who carries out maintenance work in commercial buildings.

We have been asked by a client to carry out a survey of the internal fire doors in an office building (3 floors) and report on any issues arising. There are two single FD120 doors, accessing two separate cleaner's/storage cupboards, which have no closers fitted. Should these doors have closers fitted?

• 6 months later...
Guest Guest Query

Hi, 

I am working on a project where door closers have not been installed on doors into risers. Are these required? I cannot find anything in codes to state explicitly either way.

Thank you!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
Guest Self Closing doors Scotlan

We have a 3 story townhouse in Scotland where all internal doors are self closing firedoors which so far have resulted in 3 incidents of little fingers getting trapped in the hinges. I've read online that in England and Wales internal fire doors in a domestic dwelling do not have to be self closing but I am struggling to find any clear guidance for Scotland. Can anyone advise? 

• 11 months later...
Guest Guest/England

I live in a flat in England. The front door has an automatic closure fitted, which I think is required by the building regulations.

Due to mobility problems, it is difficult to open the front door, although I have had it adjusted for the closing speed.

Is there a legal requirement for me to keep this closure operational because if there should be a fire in my apartment, I would find it difficult to open the door to get out in a reasonable time.

This type of self-closing device is designed to be easier to open. Contact the manufacturer to find out which device is best suited to your needs and that of the flat entrance door as these must be self-closing fire doors with restricted spread of smoke.

image.thumb.png.fd6513d574f6ae432e214e55c7a302f3.png