Door closer and seal for flat door in HMO

Guest ValerieBurn

Guest ValerieBurn

I am the landlord of a ground floor flat with its own private entrance door which opens from a communal entrance hall with a communal exterior door. There are two flats on each floor of the building and a staircase on each floor leading to the floor above. The building comprises six flats in total and is purpose-built as flats probably in the mid-1980s . I have received a letter from the management company asking me to ensure that my front door has the correct self-closing mechanism and is also fitted with the relevant cold smoke seals and intumescing strips. Please could you advise me about where to go for professional advice in Preston in Lancashire. I have approached the Fire Service but they have not responded to my request. With many thanks in anticipation of your help.

The Fire and Rescue Service are the enforcing authority and usually will not give advice on The Regulatory Reform (Fire Safety) Order 2005 (RR(FS)O). Search the internet for "Fire Safety Consultant in the Preston area" and ignore any Health and Safety consultants. 

The chances are, that you will have to have the work done, as the management company is most probably the Responsible Person (RP) under RR(FS)O and it is a case of how you pay for it, in your case they seem to want you to do it for yourself and pay for it.

The guidance for the premises is Fire safety in purpose-built blocks of flats. 

Hi Valerie, Its important that the self closing device is compliant to BS EN1154, fitted correctly and that the correct seals are used and installed correctly. You can find help and advice in you area by contacting a CertFDI qualified Fire Door Inspector  www.fdis.co.uk/inspector