Reupholstering

jwilson150

Hi,

I have recently purchased an ottoman I wish to reupholster and sell on (I have a small space in an antiques shop). The ottoman is after the 1950 date and so is subject to fire regulations. I understand the need for a fire label. However, there is so much information online stating you need a fire label. How do you actually do it?! Nobody seems to know. Do I just buy the fire safety labels from online and put a random number on that applies to me! (I highly doubt this is the case). However, I have no idea what I practically have to do in order to be able to sell goods.

Any information would be appreciated!

Any upholstered furniture pre 1950 is not subject to the regulations but if you re upholster it, any new materials have to meet the regulations. You would need to have permanent and display labels fitted and any information would need to enable the trading standards to locate you to be able to check the materials used. Where you obtain the labels would be up to you, providing they carry the appropriate information.  

Check out Fire safety of furniture and furnishings in the home - A Guide to the UK Regulations