AFD Sounders

John B

In line with BS5839 a hotel group brand standard requires the fire alarm to reach 75db at the bed head. Auditors require evidence of this so employees measure (using a smartphone app) and record the sound at the bed head to ensure it reaches 75db. The hotels undertake a weekly MCP/sounder test and 100% of the fire alarm is serviced at quarterly intervals but this is done without the sounders operating (at the hotel's request) to avoid disruption. Does the absence of sounders operating during the service and the resulting inability to hear the alarm in each bedroom lead to the employee sound test at the bed head being necessary? The brand standard doesn't specifically require employees to carry out the test but this is clearly the only way to convince the auditor that the standard has been met, regardless of any commissioning details which would confirm installation to the BS. Any thoughts would be very welcome. 

Is there a sounder in every bedroom? If so, no real need to check sound levels. If it's an old hotel with an old system that hasn't been upgraded and relies on corridor sounders I would definitely want a dB test carried out, but by a competent person using calibrated test equipment not an employee with a smart phone.

Once the results are known and any extra devices added routine dB level testing wouldn't be needed, only if there is a structural alteration that could lead to inadequate levels 

On 3/24/2017 at 7:52 PM, Tom Sutton said:

How do they record the 75db at the bed head if they do not operate the sounders? This is the sound level when the sounder is operating.

Hi Tom. The staff operate the sounders when they do the bed head test. There is a sounder in every bedroom but unless the staff do the bed head test, nobody knows if the sounder in the bedroom works. I don't think it is necessary to do this test but I am interested in your view.

On 3/24/2017 at 8:15 PM, AnthonyB said:

Is there a sounder in every bedroom? If so, no real need to check sound levels. If it's an old hotel with an old system that hasn't been upgraded and relies on corridor sounders I would definitely want a dB test carried out, but by a competent person using calibrated test equipment not an employee with a smart phone.

Once the results are known and any extra devices added routine dB level testing wouldn't be needed, only if there is a structural alteration that could lead to inadequate levels 

Yes there is a sounder in every room. I agree that there is no need to check the sound levels but there is something niggling at me that says unless the staff do check the sound levels, how do they know the sounders work because the fire alarm contractor only does a silent test and there is nobody in the bedrooms when the weekly sounder test is carried out. I guess the answer is that if the sounder is faulty it will show on the panel and if the system has been properly commissioned it will meet the required 75 at the bed head. 

As far as I am aware the bedhead test is part of the commissioning process and once the number and location of sounders have been established the test is no longer required unless there is some doubt on any sounder or group of sounders.

I think the weekly test should be done to establish the fire alarm is working, limited to flick testing (few seconds), which is the purpose of the test and the staff report on the audibility, not the guests, choosing a time when the rooms are being cleaned.

I do not think I would get hung up on the 75 dB at the bed head. 

There is no need to check dB readings unless there has been a change in layout. At least once in a 12 month period every sounder should have been checked at least once for operation.

Most fire alarm systems are not serviced to (& thus do not comply with) BS5839-1 as engineers are often made to test with sounder outputs isolated. The only way around this is if the user ensures that all sounders are gradually checked over 12 months during weekly tests - this still does not require dB testing, merely it works and doesn't seem too quiet (as can happen sometimes with bells).

On 30/03/2017 at 11:06 AM, Tom Sutton said:

As far as I am aware the bedhead test is part of the commissioning process and once the number and location of sounders have been established the test is no longer required unless there is some doubt on any sounder or group of sounders.

I think the weekly test should be done to establish the fire alarm is working, limited to flick testing (few seconds), which is the purpose of the test and the staff report on the audibility, not the guests, choosing a time when the rooms are being cleaned.

I do not think I would get hung up on the 75 dB at the bed head. 

Ok so the maid is briefed to report if the sounder in any room that he/she is in at the time of the weekly test doesn't work or if audibility is poor. It's not a precise science but over the course of a year most of the rooms would be occupied by a maid at the time of the weekly test. 

20 hours ago, AnthonyB said:

There is no need to check dB readings unless there has been a change in layout. At least once in a 12 month period every sounder should have been checked at least once for operation.

Most fire alarm systems are not serviced to (& thus do not comply with) BS5839-1 as engineers are often made to test with sounder outputs isolated. The only way around this is if the user ensures that all sounders are gradually checked over 12 months during weekly tests - this still does not require dB testing, merely it works and doesn't seem too quiet (as can happen sometimes with bells).

Yes although quite often the contractor presumes the client wants a silent test, without taking a specific instruction from the client, but that's another topic for another day. I think my reply to Tom is the way forward - brief the maid to report if the sounder in any room that he/she is in at the time of the weekly test doesn't work or if audibility is poor. It's not a precise science but over the course of a year most of the rooms would be occupied by a maid at the time of the weekly test.