Fire exits and regulations in upper self contained Maisonette

mel1summers@gmail.com

Good Morning,

I am hoping for some advise please, My son is trying to buy his first home and we went to look at a Maisonette with him yesterday. It covers the 2nd 3rd and attic space of a converted house. it has its own front door and NO communal space. The front door is the only entrance in and out of this property, the windows in the rooms are able to open fully as a means or exit.  I want to know please before he puts in an offer and pays for surveyors  reports if there should be any other fire escape route and should his front door be of any fire proof rating with fire rated glass.  I know in purpose built flats these rules apply but not certain in this case.

thank you for any help you can provide

Mel 

If there is no common areas then the maisonnette will not be subject to  The Regulatory Reform (Fire Safety) Order 2005 and I assume there is no shared facilities,  then it will not be a HMO so it is likely to be considered a single family dwelling. As for fire safety that would be covered by the building regulations guidance at the time the house was converted or you could consider HOUSING – FIRE SAFETY Guidance on fire safety provisions for certain types of existing housing which may be acceptable. 

You need to discuss your situation with a solicitor dealing with this area. Check out http://www.safetylawyers.co.uk/fire-safety/