Do i need a separate fire exit

JohnM

We are in the process of buying four flats that are in poor repair.

They were converted to flats prior to 1988 and we are being told they have a one hour fire time down the main stair case. They do have an integrated fire system which has been regularly tested and their is fire boarding between the flats. There is no secondary route to escape the property and it would be difficult to add in an external fire escape.

We want to upgrade the property to modern building regulations but we are concerned that we will be required to put in a secondary fire route - which is likely to cause major problems with neighbours.

Can anyone advise whether a secondary route is likely to be made a requirement as we renovate the property.

JohnM

A four storey and basement, dwelling house converted into flats and the Approved Document B states volume 2 should be used.

The problem with this is volume 2 is for purpose built blocks of flats and a great deal of interpretation has to be used to apply it to Converted flats. However it is possible to find a solution that allows a single staircase to be used, providing FD30 to all habitable rooms and a FD30s door to the front door of flats, this would require the building control to accept the interpretation. Check out https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/fire-safety-approved-document-b  vol 2  page 20, 2.20.

I think  HOUSING – FIRE SAFETY Guidance on fire safety provisions for certain types of existing housing  is a better solution, page 46 but Building Control would need to be convinced.

I would suggest you need to speak to Building Control the Enforcement Authority to find out what they consider acceptable.

• 2 years later...

Would like to find out if fire escapes are a legal requirement in a house that has been converted to two flats ....ground floor and 1st floor flats. Shared front door being only means of escape if fire broke out.....

• 2 years later...
On 12/08/2022 at 09:00, Guest manager said:

morning,i run 54 bedroom home spread over 3 floors,i dont have external fire escape stairs,does the  law reqiure that we do

It sounds like you don't have a current Fire Risk Assessment carried out by a competent person otherwise you would already have the answer to this - contact a qualified competent fire safety professional to carry out an FRA.

External stairs were traditionally used where there were not sufficient internal stairs for escape in an existing building or as a cheaper way to add required exit stairs for emergency use only in a new build than a fully enclosed stair.