APOLLO ALARMSENSE PANEL HELP !!

Guest Paul King

Guest Paul King

APOLLO ALARMSENSE PANEL HELP !!

i've got 2 apollo alarmsense fire alarm panels with the alarmsense smoke detectors and sounder beacon bases but when i switch the panel on it just activates the sounder beacon bases ... I've tried the 2 panels but they both do the same, its giving out 24 Volts when i switch the panel on which straight away makes the sounder beacon bases activate .

There is no fire or the leds dont come on smoke detectors which indicates theres no smoke activating the smoke detectors .so i dont know what the problem is ive read the website and it says it should give out 24 volts when theres a fire but its giving 24 volts out when i switch the panel on.

You don't have an activated call point somewhere?

Apollo Alarmsense is a conventional twin wire fire alarm system where sounders and call points/detectors share the same zone cable and have to use a compatible 2 wire panel.

Apollo's fault finding guide suggests that continuous sounders indicate a non Alarmsense compatible panel has been used (different 2 wire panel or a traditional 4 wire) (or indeed the conventional sounder circuits instead of the Alarmsense zones)

Apollo don't make the panels. Compatible panels are made by C-Tec, Haes and Kentec.

Ask also on firealarmengineers.com/forum

• 3 weeks later...

You possibly need to connect the sounder/ beacons the opposite way round ie  + = blue,   - = brown.

These types of panels usually reverse polarity in an alarm condition, so smoke detectors and Call Points are connected the normal way, but sounder/ beacons are connected the opposite way, if that makes sense!

Not all brands of twinwire system operate the same way - which is why installers & maintainers who are not competent in fire alarms wonder why they can't get twinwire devices of different makes to work on the same system.

Many twin wire systems use reverse polarity but Apollo Alarmsense uses voltage changes, in a quiescent state 12V runs through the system, device activation causes the panel to raise the voltage to 24V to activate the sounders. Polarity is unchanged.

I think a competent fire alarm engineer is required for this situation.

• 1 year later...

Hi... I am no expert, but many panels put out -24 volts when the panel is normal in order to supervise the NACs. If you reversed the + and - terminals on the panel or sounder this may be causing the issue. I don't know about Apollo equipment so this may not be the case, I also do not know how these panels are supervised, do you have EOLRs installed if they are required?

assemblage PCB