Interlinked extractors in flats in converted chapel

Guest Paul Gardner

Guest Paul Gardner

Hi,

I currently live in a chapel which was converted in the mid 90s into 16 flats.  I'm interested in opinions on the safety of the extraction system which is apparently interlinked (at least with my neighbour).  When I cook, I have to switch on the bathroom light else the kitchen smells vent straight into there and my neighbour's kitchen extraction vents straight into my bathroom and often comes through to my kitchen.  This seems to me to be a great way to spread a fire.

I would consider this an unacceptable and ridiculous ventilation system it should finally vent to fresh air but without knowing a lot more about the system it may prevent the spread of fire by the use of fire dampers so this would need to be checked. 

Guest Paul Gardner

Thanks for your response Tom, its much appreciated.  I'll try and get hold of a ladder so I can investigate further because getting a straight answer out of the management company is akin the proverbial blood extraction from stone.