Smoke detector location in stairway

Guest Tomcat

Guest Tomcat

Good morning,

We decided to install smoke detector in stairway of our 7 storey building. We are private renter there and invested for the safety of all. We contacted a security company. I just would like to make sure about the location of smoke detector (1/stair).

Please find attached picture of 1 level. All are similars.

Let me know if all isn't clear.

Thank you for you help.

Tom

IMG-20160802-WA0004.jpg

IMG-20160802-WA0000.jpg

IMG-20160802-WA0002.jpg

IMG-20160802-WA0001.jpg

IMG-20160802-WA0004.jpg

IMG-20160802-WA0000.jpg

IMG-20160802-WA0002.jpg

IMG-20160802-WA0001.jpg

Is this part of a fire risk assessment and what grade of fire alarm has been fitted. The arch creates a well on the lift side, which would have to fill with smoke before the detector operated, creating a delay. What is the loose wires and why did you employ a security company instead a fire alarm company?

Check out  HOUSING – FIRE SAFETY Guidance on fire safety provisions for certain types of existing housing.

I thought similar, but then I looked again, that is a light fitting in the centre of the arch.

I think (but am not sure) Tomcat wants advice as to where to put the smoke detector?  But I agree with Tom, the arch will make a partition, so ideally it needs two smoke detectors, one either side of the arch.

Is this an office building or residential?

Detection will need to be interlinked and depending on the premises will need to form part of a system complying with BS5839-1 including a control panel, manual call points, detectors and sounders.

You need a Fire Risk Assessment prior to installing to advise what exactly you need as otherwise you risk:

- installing something excessive, or

- installing something inadequate, or

- something completely useless