lables on sef made furniture

Guest adam

Hi, I want to start a new business, which will be a café/diner. I want to make some furniture myself to fit it out. It will be made from basic wood/covered in foam and vinyl. Can I buy the foam and vinyl from a supplier and ask for proof its ok for use(and keep the paperwork), and then buy and secure the labels. Would this be ok for the required regulations? Thanks for any help and advice. adam

Firstly you are not subject to the The Furniture and Furnishings (Fire Safety) Regulations but you are subject to the The Regulatory Reform (Fire Safety) Order 2005. You will also be subject the the building regulations which have fire safety implications. You will be the Responsible Person and required to conduct a Fire Risk Assessment which includes preventing or reducing the risk of a fire occurring. Therefore you should study Fire safety of furniture and furnishings in the contract and non-domestic sectors A Guide to the UK requirements which will assist you in carrying out your duties.