Who is responsible for extinguishers in Leisure Centre

Guest Jacqueline

Dear Sir/Madam
We own a beauty salon (10 staff) business and rent a space to run it within a Leisure Centre. They have said we need to obtain a CO2 fire extinguisher. Can you tell me if this is our responsibility or theirs as landlord. Also, this has made me wonder whether we are individually responsible for complying with fire legislation generally?

Thanks

You are responsible for your workplace not the landlord.

I assume you are the employer and  consequently subject to The Regulatory Reform (Fire Safety) Order 2005 covering your workplace also you are designated the Responsible Person under the RR(FS)O. You need to conduct a fire risk assessment of your workplace and consider articles 8 to 22 of the FSO. To help you conduct a FRA you should study  http://www.firesafe.org.uk/fire-risk-assessment/ and the guide for Offices and shops.

Check out http://www.safelincs.co.uk/free-fire-risk-assessment-form/ for FRA form.

You are both an employer and person having control under the above legislation and have to carry out a fire risk assessment, provide general fire precautions were necessary and have a system of maintenance for them as well as provide adequate fire safety training and procedures.

It's not up to the Leisure Centre to dictate the extinguishers, you decide in your FRA. For example a CO2 extinguisher alone would not cover all risks present requiring an additional standard water or foam extinguisher and you may prefer Water Mist or the maintenance free P50 Foam extinguisher both of which cover all risks in one unit (the latter whilst expensive doesn't require you to pay a service firm to come in every year whereas normal extinguishers do). You could use ABC powder but it is not generally suitable for indoor use (I would certainly advise against it)