Testing of alarms and emergency lighting in block of flats

Hello - I am one of 4 landlords for 4 flats in a block, not 'Multiple Occupancy' all discrete with lockable doors. They do however share a stairwell and exit. The building was signed off to all Building Regs at the time about 18 months ago. Question - do the alarms and emergency lights need anyannual test? If so by whom?

Many thanks.

Lez

All the landlord/owners or managing agents if you have one are designated the Responsible Persons and have a joint duty to comply with The Regulatory Reform (Fire Safety) Order 2005 which includes conducting a fire risk assessment and maintaining all fire safety equipment required in the common areas. This includes testing and maintaining the alarms and emergency lights in the common areas.

Also landlords are subject to the The Smoke and Carbon Monoxide Alarm (England) Regulations 2015 and since 1st October you have to provide CO/smoke detectors in the flats.

• 4 years later...

I work for a small firm cleaning stair wells and corridors in blocks of flats. He has said he wants me to do emergency light testing and fire alarm testing in the blocks I clean on a monthly basis. I’m not very comfortable with this responsibility. Do you need to be certified to conduct such procedures??? Thanks