Scotland: Do all alarms have to be mains powered?

Guest Angie

Dear Sirs,
There seems to be mixed information I have been reading with regards to new regulations regarding hardwired smoke detectors/ heat alarms.
Can you please confirm if it is a legal requirement to have hard wired smoke detectors interlinked with a heat alarm fitted in the kitchen on all rental properties in Scotland. Am I right or wrong in saying that it is okay to have a battery smoke detector fitted but if it fails to work by law you have to fit it with a hardwired smoke detector. It would be very much appreciated to have the right information at hand to give to Landlords. I look forward to your response.
Kind Regards
Angie

This is an FAQ from The Private Rented Housing Panel of Scotland, check out the advice pack

I have not yet installed a smoke alarm in the property I rent out. Can I still install a battery operated alarm after 3 September 2007?

No, after 3 September 2007 any smoke alarm fitted must be mains powered, even if it is replacing a battery powered alarm. Existing smoke alarms installed before 3 September 2007 can continue to be used provided they are in good working order. A guidance leaflet is supplied with the advice pack which can be downloaded from this website.