Can I buy second hand furniture without safety label for rented house?

Guest Lorraine

Guest Lorraine

Hello I am looking for advice regarding furniture in hmo. I have seen a sofa on eBay that I wish to buy (item number 261560424386) This furniture the seller claims was supplied for use at the Olympics in 2012. It was furniture for the athletes village. I spoke to the seller on the phone, asking him if the furniture has the appropriate BS standard fire labels on it. He checked for me and sadly it doesn't. Obviously I want to conform to all safety standards in my rental property. Is there any way I could get this furniture tested and certified? I really really would appreciate any advice you can give.

Many thanks Lorraine

No there is no way of testing the finished article without severe damage, so it is not practical. The only person who can help is the manufacturer who will have all the necessary test certificates but a sofa made in 2012 should meet the regulations and have a permanent label attached. Has the owner real looked hard they can be hidden underneath items and it is important you know what you are looking for, it is usually just a piece of white linen with printed information. Check out http://www.fira.co.uk/document/fira-flammability-guide-october-2011pdf.pdf and see what the permanent label looks like, you do not require the display label.