Curtain fabrics

Guest StellaMann

They have conform to BS 5867-2:2008 Fabrics for curtains, drapes and window blinds. Flammability requirements specification, low hazard. I would imagine you can purchase material that will meet the required standard or there are treatments that will bring your own material to the required standard. Do a web search for "curtains drapes fire resistance treatments" and find one that meets the required standard.

Check out http://www.fira.co.uk/document/fira-contract-flammability-guide-october-2011pdf.pdf

• 1 month later...
Guest AnnetteKirk

Hello, I was wondering if you could help me, I have been asked to make curtains for a community centre, and they are unsure about flame retardant fabric, the centre is used for things like dancing, yoga, general community ideas.
I understand the legislation has changed and I'm not 100% what should be used.
Thank you for your time

• 2 months later...
  • 8 months later...

I am wondering if a holiday let house with individual bedrooms, lounge etc is required to have FR treated curtains and soft furnishings or not?

I am aware the upholstery is required to be fr'd.

Lorna

Furniture for holiday homes and furnished residential properties must meet the full requirements of the Furniture and Furnishings (Fire Safety) Regulations. However the The Regulatory Reform (Fire Safety) Order 2005 only applies to the common areas therefore the bedrooms, lounge, etc  are exempt and only the FFFSR apply. This means only the upholstered furniture and furnishings have to meet the appropriate standards but the curtains are not required to meet the required British standard but for piece of mind you may consider it.

Check out Domestic Flammability Guide which you have to conform to.