Extinguisher service training

slyfox

Hi

I'm looking to price up the viability of on site extinguisher servicing (3 schools) and wondered if anyone could recommend a local training provider to offer me the skills to become competent (Shrewsbury).

I've looked at as much information as I can find on refilling extinguishers and the equipment costs don't throw the idea straight out of the window, but would appreciate any advice if available, pro's con's.

Looking into becoming a trainer in the safe use of fire extinguishers (practical) along with a graduate qualified in Health and Safety.

Found one local company ( won't give full details as would be potent advertising )

any advice, tips of any legislation issues?

I know the word competent is going to play a big part in this, but what makes somebody competent at teaching me to be competent.

Thanks, and wishing you all a very merry Christmas

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, I would recommend that you take part in training through the British Fire Consortium. The courses take 3 to 4 days and you will be a qualified fire extinguisher servicing engineer at the end of it.

Alternatively, you can consider service free extinguishers, which do not require annual servicing or refill after 5 years. The installing company will offer site survey as well as training, so that you are fully covered.

Harry

• 3 years later...

Hi, With regards to the 3 day Extinguisher Technician course, Can anyone advise what the 2 hour written examination involves or what the format is? Multiple choice etc? Many thanks in advance.

Bear in mind most provider's basic servicing training no longer covers refilling or Extended Services so unless you were going to replace with new when an extinguisher reaches 5 years (10 for CO2) or needs refilling (which a lot of commercial servicing firms do now as it's more cost effective) and if you wanted to refill the extra training, and recharging equipment & consumables, would make it nonviable just for three sites.

Moving to P50 extinguishers as part of a risk reanalysis (to reduce numbers overall plus the fact that one P50 can replace up to three extinguishers of two different types at a single fire point) may be more viable - the only tools you need after the free training on installation would be a permanent marker (each extinguisher comes with the verification equipment required built in)

• 4 weeks later...

Hello, I can see that the definition of a competent person when it comes to servicing fire extinguishers is some one who has  "on the job” experience – the trainee will be under the supervision of a competent person whilst working.

Can anyone advise what job role you can have where you are in the positionin of being under supervision of someone experienced? All the jobs I have seen ask for people with experience already. How do you get on the job experience?

Thanks

Thanks for the quick response. As long as it is acceptable to be thrown in at the deep end after passing the course then great. This means I can hopefully move forward with my career once I have completed the 3 day course. Thanks again.

Unfortunately it doesn't. I'm hoping I can do this as further training in the near future once I've had a bit of experience going out and carrying out the basic annual service etc. 

You may find it cheaper & easier (like most new to the trade) just using new from a box, the cost of the kit and the environmental rules associated with testing and filling are prohibitive in many cases - plus there is no follow on training course because the whole point of the technicians course is to teach you all aspects, it used to!