Sprinkler system for building extension

Guest Theresa

Guest Theresa

Hello.
The Building Inspector has suggested that we may need a Sprinkler system in our house. It is a terraced house and we are building a rear extension and mansard. Could you please direct me to any legislation where I can see whether we have to install a system, or perhaps there are simple guidelines to residential houses which say when you should have one and when you don't need to - ie, perhaps number of bedrooms etc.
Thanks so much for your help.
Theresa

You need to find out why the Building Control Officer is recommending sprinklers, is it because fire service access is poor or is it as a compensatory factor for a poor means of escape or is there any other reasons?

I know that from September 2013 all new builds and converted properties in WALES must have domestic fire sprinklers installed, but I for one can not find a law / regulation that says YOU MUST have sprinklers installed in a domestic premises. Smoke alarms yes.

One other thing.

fire-sprinkler-systems.jpg

Above is a commercial fire sprinkler

concealed.jpg

Above is a domestic fire sprinkler (You only see the flat white disc when installed)

As you are not sure, I would suggest you ask the building inspector what his reasoning is.

(I see while I was writing, Tom posted)