Fire door seals for sliding fire doors

Guest MartynB

Guest MartynB

Hi there, I'm renovating a flat in south London and I've made the kitchen/living area open plan. Building control came to assess the work and asked me to install a fire door at the end of the hall way (separating the hall way from the living area/kitchen). I opted for a pocket door (sliding door, 30 minute fire rated) to avoid undoing all of the work I did opening up the flat. I have the certificate for the door and I have ensured that the correct plastering process has been followed around the door. However, I'm unsure of the seals I require. Do I need seals along the edge of the sliding door where it touches the frame? (there is a 10mm recess for the door to slot into)
Do I need seals at the top of the door? (the door is built into the celing and there is a 50mm of fire resistant plaster board dropping down both sides of the runner)?
Do I need to seal the bottom of the door?
Do I need fire and smoke seals?
Thank you for your help in advance.

When tested fire door tend to fail at the gaps between the door leaf and the frame and need intumescent strips to seal this gap (when subjected to fire) to ensure they pass the test. This information should be available in the test certificate and should indicate intumescent seals need to be fixed to both sides and the head of the door.

Because this fire door protects a means of escape route (Hallway, which is used by all habitable rooms) it should be provided with cold smoke seals which should be fitted to sides, head and threshold of the fire door.

I have doubts on my previous submission because Approved Document B (Fire Safety) does not show smoke control is necessary in flats so ignore the reference to cold smoke seals and have word with your building control officer.