Minimum extinguisher size for vehicle

4 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Rays_*

Guest_Rays_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 January 2013 - 10:42 PM

Hi,
Can you advise what the minimum weight that is required for extinguishers going to be installed in company maintenance vehicles. They are likely to be used only in the event of an emergency. I have been told it is 1kg, but I am unable to find where that is stated.
Regards,
Ray.

#2 Tom Sutton

Tom Sutton
  • Power Member
  • 806 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 10:12 AM

The HSE talking about ADR say, IF a transport unit is not carrying dangerous goods in accordance with ADR 1.1.3.6, it has to be equipped with at least one portable fire extinguisher for the inflammability classes* A, B and C, with a minimum capacity of 2kg dry powder (or an equivalent capacity for any other suitable extinguishing agent) suitable for fighting a fire in the engine or cab of the transport unit [ADR 8.1.4.1(a)]  http://www.hse.gov.u...pdf/fire-ex.pdf

ACT a fire safety company say, Vehicle A 1kg or 2 Kg powder extinguisher should always be situated near the front seats.  http://www.actfire.c...sher_advice.php

I think I would go for the HSE advice even if ADR doesn't apply.

All my responses only apply to England and Wales and they are an overview of the subject, hopefully it will point you in the right direction and always treat with caution. It is near impossible to give a definitive answer without a physical survey and remember the final decision is the Responsible Person after all it is the RP who will face the judge from the dock it things go pear shaped . Scotland and Northern Ireland has differing legislation

#3 Safelincs

Safelincs
  • Administrators
  • 248 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 11:03 AM

For vehicles carrying dangerous goods, the following ADR rules aply (ADR 8.1.4.1). Weights listed below are usually powder extinguisher weights, but it is possible to substitute powder with other extinguishing media.

Vehicle <3.5 tonnes: 2 Extinguishers min, min total weight 4kg, minimum size of each extinguisher 2kg

Vehicle >3.5 tonnes: 2 Extinguishers min, min total weight 8kg, one extinguisher has to be at least 6kg

Vehicle >7.5 tonnes: 2 Extinguishers min, min total weight 12kg, one extinguisher has to be at least 6kg

For any other business vehicles, I agree with Tom that 2kg are required.

Harry

#4 Guest_steve Jo_*

Guest_steve Jo_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 March 2013 - 12:56 PM

we run housing repair buisness are vans are transist and they are how we get to the sites to carry out repairs.we carry standard materials such as paint glues small items of plastic, wood plumbing items etc etc do we have to supply fire extinguishers to these vehicles

#5 Tom Sutton

Tom Sutton
  • Power Member
  • 806 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 09:52 PM

Taxis and PHVs (private hire vehicles or minicabs) are required by law to carry first aid kits and vehicle fire extinguishers. The type and capacity of the vehicle fire extinguisher varies with the local licensing authority. Please consult the appropriate regulations for your vehicle type. If a vehicle is capable of carrying nine or more passengers it is classed as a PSV (passenger service vehicle) and requires a 2l AFFF vehicle fire extinguisher. It is mandatory for PHVs to carry  vehicle fire extinguishers.

Commercial vehicles used in the carriage of dangerous goods (CDG) require ABC-type vehicle fire extinguishers, the capacity of which varies according to the load of the vehicle. Check out ADR http://www.hse.gov.u...pdf/fire-ex.pdf .

In your situation you are not required to carry fire extinguisher by law but I would advise you carry a 2 Kg dry powder extinguisher because the result of a fire could be serious for you and your company.

All my responses only apply to England and Wales and they are an overview of the subject, hopefully it will point you in the right direction and always treat with caution. It is near impossible to give a definitive answer without a physical survey and remember the final decision is the Responsible Person after all it is the RP who will face the judge from the dock it things go pear shaped . Scotland and Northern Ireland has differing legislation

Reply to this topic