Ei 151 Beeping

18 replies to this topic

• Guests

Posted 28 April 2009 - 07:30 AM

My enquiry concerns a mains powered smoke alarm Ei151TL. The electricity was off for a while and since it has been switched back on the alarm beeps every few minutes. At first I assumed it was because it was recharging but it has now been days. The green light indicating that it is connected to the mains glows. Please could you advise? Can the batteries be replaced on this model? Or would I need to replace the whole unit? Is it just a case of holding down the test button for a while?

#2 Garry Webster

Garry Webster
  • Safelincs
  • 33 posts

Posted 28 April 2009 - 03:42 PM

The Ei151TL is a sealed unit so the batteries are not replacable.

The 151TL will emit this beep for 2 reasons:

-1. Mains power was lost and the back-up batteries have run down, but the unit will recharge
-2. The unit is in "hush" mode, these beeps will self-cancel after ten minutes just by doing nothing

It sound to me like none of the above have happened in your case. Can you tell me how long you have your alarm it may be the it has come to the end of its working life and needs replacing or it may be that you have the older Ei151 alarm?

Kind regards Garry

#3 Guest_fredgardner_*

Guest_fredgardner_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 January 2012 - 03:53 PM

My Ei151TL is beeping continuously! How do I stop this??? It drives me crazy

#4 Safelincs

Safelincs
  • Administrators
  • 248 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 04:32 PM

Hi

You might have an older model with alkaline backup batteries which must be replaced regularly (eg once a year). Open the alarm cover and replace the battery.

If the alarm continues bleeping your mains power might be interrupted. If the green light is off, you have no mains power and the smoke alarm now consumes the backup battery. Check your fuses, circuit breakers and wiring.

If the green light is on, however, try to reset the alarm by pressing the test button for more than 10 seconds to reset the alarm.

If nothing else helps, replace the smoke alarm (All smoke alarms should be repalced after ten years!)

How to remove a Ei151 alarm

Replacement alarms for Ei151

Harry

#5 Guest_NormHast_*

Guest_NormHast_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 March 2012 - 11:36 AM

Hi

I am getting confused. My old smoke alarm model states Ei151TL but on your website you only sell Ei151. What is the difference and will the new unit fit?
Norm

#6 Safelincs

Safelincs
  • Administrators
  • 248 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 04:12 PM

When the Ei151 was orginally produced in mass production there were several models (alkaline battery, lithium battery with/without hush). Since the smoke alarm has become a replacement unit for existing installations, only the top spec version is being produced. So the units we sell all have hush and lithium re-chargeable batteries. The best and the cheapest solution when replacing a Ei151 is to go for the dedicated replacement smoke alarm called easichange which can be fitted without an electrician.

#7 Guest_Neil_*

Guest_Neil_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 July 2013 - 05:58 PM

Thanks Harry, holding the test button in for more than 10 seconds reset the detector and it stopped beeping :)

I had only pressed it for about 2 seconds beforehand it then every 40 seconds it beeped.

#8 Guest_MartinGof_*

Guest_MartinGof_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 September 2013 - 07:07 AM

On a similar topic I was wondering whether anybody could help me.

I have recently installed (July) some new ei151 alarms to replace older versions of the same alarm.

The old alarms had been randomly setting off - no smoke/dust and mains power on - and so I decided to replace them.

This morning the new alarms have been randomly emitting short (1-2 seconds) alarm sounds.  No evidence of smoke/fire or any problems.  Why are they doing this?  Is this a signal to say they need testing?

Help!

#9 Safelincs

Safelincs
  • Administrators
  • 248 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 09:03 AM

Hi Martin

have you checked that the mains power supply is permanently on? If the power supply is taken from an incorrectly installed lighting circuit that can be interrupted by a switch this could cause this type of low battery warning. Check that the green light is on all the time indicating power supply.

If the power supply is directly from the fuse box make sure the fuse has been switched on again after the smoke alarm replacement (honestly, this happens quiet often!)

Harry

#10 green-foam

green-foam
  • Power Member
  • 87 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 08:53 PM

Following on from what Harry said, what happens if you switch the lights off (at the switch) in a room where the smoke alarm is. Does the "mains on" light go out after say 2 minutes.

The above is only my opinion.

Equipment demonstration videos

#11 Guest_Amanda_*

Guest_Amanda_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 November 2013 - 11:03 AM

Hi,
We have an ei 150 which has started beeping this am (been going for about 3.5hrs so far and driving me crazy!!) there has been no power cut, they are connected to the mains and have a green light and tere is no battery to replace according to the back of the alarm. We have tried holding the test/hush button for 10 seconds and it does nothing (except setting the actual alarm off!)

We have come to the conclusion they need to be replaced (we think they are about 11-12 years old) however, the problem is the beeping won't stop!!! We have turned the main power supply to them off, taken the units from the ceiling and switched them off at the dedicated plug, yet they still beep!! (It's like phoebe from friends' experience!!) how can I get them to be silent while we await the replacement ones. I am a nurse on night shifts so this beeping for a few days is NOT an option!!

Thanks for your help in advance!!

Amanda

#12 Safelincs

Safelincs
  • Administrators
  • 248 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 04:05 PM

Hi Amanda

The units should stop beeping once they are off the ceiling. Sometimes there is a residual charge that makes the alarm been for a few minutes. It should be possible to stop this by pressing the test button in the middle. Could it be the other alarms in the circuit making the beeping noises? They should ideally all be removed from the ceiling and be replaced.

The Ei150 replacement without the need for an electrician is the Ei151EK easichange alarm.

Harry

#13 Guest_Amanda_*

Guest_Amanda_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 November 2013 - 06:52 PM

We took both alarms off the ceiling, and they were definitely beeping for a few minutes, hence we put them back up! Will try again this evening! Thanks for your help :-)

#14 green-foam

green-foam
  • Power Member
  • 87 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 10:46 PM

Watching the video, the detector DOES have a battery inside.

I guess this is almost / nearly flat and that is why the unit is beeping.

Although the battery is not meant to be changed, I wonder is there a link that can be removed to disable the battery?

It LOOKS LIKE the "outer cover" can be unclipped and swung open

(I did note it says "do not open unit" but in this case you don't seem to have much choice)

#15 Guest_norman cleary_*

Guest_norman cleary_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 January 2014 - 12:43 PM

I have the same issue. The power was off for about 10minutes and now the unit is bleeping. My question is how long does this last? The outside of the unit says it needs replacing in 2020.

#16 Bob.G

Bob.G
  • Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 05:19 PM

Hi all. First time here and looking for help please.

We had a power spike and blackout for about 15 minutes three days ago and since then one of our two interconnected EI151 detectors have been beeping, and the other just 'chirps'. I had a look online for help and found this site - I've read all the posts and done as suggested above to no avail. With the power to the units off I removed the head that was chirping and noted that the four wires (blue, blue, red, yellow) were not on a plug but soldered into position with an insulating sleeve. I assume that the other one will be the same. Note that the units do not carry a date but are believed to be about 20 years old.

Query 1: Do the replacement units come with a plug that accepts cable terminations to enable me to replace the unit, or will I need to resolder the connections ?
Query 2: How do I determine which of the two blue cores to connect to the 'battery' terminal (I'm assuming that red = live and yellow = 'interconnect').

#17 green-foam

green-foam
  • Power Member
  • 87 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 07:12 PM

The new units should come with a plug, I would guess that the original plug was lost and so some one soldered the wires on instead.

I am puzzled why you mention The "battery terminal" since mains powered smoke alarms are connected as follows.

Live, Neutral and "interconnect" This is repeated at every detector.

Since you will be replacing all 3 I would suggest you check (with a multi meter) at the first one which colour does what, since there are no strict guidelines for the colours, and then copy this colour code with all the detectors.

#18 Guest_bob.g_*

Guest_bob.g_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 February 2014 - 09:35 PM

Green-Foam, thanks for the response.

My EI151 has 4 terminals, (Live, Battery, Interconnect, Neutral). I'll check the voltages on each line and work out wht to do.

I'll be back !

#19 Safelincs

Safelincs
  • Administrators
  • 248 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 08:48 AM

Hi Bob

10 to 20 years ago there was a change in the Ei150 series smoke alarms. The older units had connector plugs with 4 evenly spaced holes or just 3 holes.

The newer units since then have 4 holes in the connector plug with 3 holes grouped closely together and the 4th one slightly apart.

The dedicated replacement alarms for the Ei150 series (Ei150, Ei151, Ei151TL, Ei154, Ei154TL, Ei156, Ei156TL) Ei sells through Safelincs all have a spare connector stub. Should the existing (very old) plug not fit the new alarms, the stub can be fitted to your existing wiring to be able to use the new alarms.

Harry

Reply to this topic