Does wooden furniture need to be fireproofed?

Guest GabriellaKi

Guest GabriellaKi

Hi All,

Our company has a customer who wants us to supply tables and chairs for an airport cafe. Could you please advise what is fire safety requirement for treating wooden furniture? Do we need Class 0, Class 1 or FR lacquer?

Thanks a lot in advance for your help!

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I believe timber tables and chairs need to be treated at all. However some airports have rules that insist they are treated to a spread of flame standard which will be determined by the airport. Therefore I suggest you contact your customer and find out from the airport what standard they require.

Some garden furniture is subject to the regulations.

A2 Group B

A2.1 Garden and outdoor furniture

The Regulations apply to upholstered outdoor furniture suitable for use in dwellings (e.g. homes, conservatories, caravans etc.).

The Regulations do not apply to garden furniture which is unsuitable for use in dwellings (i.e. garden furniture which would not physically fit indoors), non-upholstered garden furniture (e.g. deck-chairs and parasols) and cover fabric of any removable canopy part of upholstered garden furniture which is intended to act as sunshade or waterproof cover when the article is used in the open air. If there is any likelihood of the garden furniture being brought inside the dwelling for use or storage then it will need to comply with the Regulations.

All upholstered cushions, whether tie on or permanent, supplied for use with garden or outdoor furniture are required to satisfy the Regulations. Each separate finished item and removable cushion set should have a permanent label.

It has been observed that ‘Not for Indoor Use’ labels are attached to outdoor products with the intention to make these products exempt from the requirements of the Regulations. If there is any likelihood of an outdoor upholstered furniture item being brought indoors (and if it is possible to physically carry this item indoors), then this product must comply with the Regulations regardless of any labels stating ‘Not for Indoor Use’.

• 1 month later...

I bought a bed frame from a local independent dealer but later i decided to donate it to a charity & when they came to collect, they said Bed frame has not got a fire safety label, so can not be taken

I would like to know if its compulsory to have a Fire safety Label on the bed frame

If yes then i might report the matter to my local authorities

Kindly advise,THANKS

• 5 months later...
Guest IsabelleEy

Good morning,

I would like to give a glass dining table to the Bristish Heart foundation.
But I need to have a fire label.
How can I have one?
Thank you for your reply,
Isabelle

• 6 months later...
Guest PRFren

I have been offered two pre-ownned sofas, but do not know if these meet current domestic fire safetty regulations. What do I use to treat their coverings, foam cushions, etc. (I am benefits. The sofas are very reasonably priced.)

I am afraid there is no way to treat a piece of existing upholstery furniture so it will meet the regulations this needs to be done at the manufacturing stage and retailers should ensure it has been done before selling it. The person who sold you the sofas may be guilt of an offence, this depends on the circumstances, but you are not. You could treat the the sofas with fire retardant solution for your own piece of mind but you first need to look for the permanent labels which can be difficult to find and located in out of the way places. The display labels (green showing a cigarette and match) are usually lost very quickly its the permanent labels you need to find. Turn the sofas upside down, check there, inside the cushions and if the label is missing there should be evidence where it was fixed.

Check out http://www.fira.co.u...mability-guides and download the "Fire safety of furniture and furnishings in the home" document for what the permanent labels look like and more information

• 1 year later...
Guest Liz Worth

My mother lives in a residential home and wants to take her own bedroom furniture, the manager has said this is impossible as it would need fireproofing. My question is, is this law and if so, how can we get her furniture fireproofed? It is wood veneer and mirrors.

Many thanks.

The manager has to abide by the residential care home guide and page 55 Furniture (including beds), soft furnishings and textiles lays down the standards, which you maybe not able to achieve. The problem is soft furnishing and upholstered furniture, there should be no problems with timber items or mirrors.

• 1 month later...
Guest Catherine

Good morning and many thanks

I'm about to let out a flat for the first time and struggle to read the regulations.

Do curtains, carpets, lampshades and wooden furniture with no upholstery at all have to have BS labels?

Curtains, carpets, lampshades and wooden furniture with no upholstery do not have to carry permanent labels as defined by the Furniture and Furnishings (Fire Safety) Regulations 1988/1989, 1993 and 2010, only upholstered furniture.

Check out http://www.firesafe.org.uk/furniture-and-furnishings-fire-safety-regulations-19881989-and-1993/

• 1 year later...

I have a question about the timber frame of sofa's, does this need to be fire resistant or is it just the upholstery?

Our landlord had a repair done to the frame of the sofa and I am not sure if this is legal?

your opinion would be appreciated

thank you

John

It would depend on how the job was done and only the upholstery is subject to the regulations.

If the timber frame was repaired without disturbing the upholstery or if the upholstery was removed and the same replaced then only a re-upholstering service was provided.When a re-upholstering service only is provided – that is the upholsterer does not provide any fabric or any filling materials for the refurbishment - then this service is outside the scope of the Regulations. If he/she does provide new materials then they must meet the regulations.

Although it is recommended that the client is advised of the potential fire safety risks.

Check out  Fire safety of furniture and furnishings in the home - A Guide to the UK Regulations page 19.

• 2 months later...

I have made a lampshade at home myself from twigs.does this need fireproof treatment and if so how do I do it / what do I use? When I searched online I could only find upholstery spray. 

• 8 months later...

Hi, i've been asked to make some display cabinets for a shop in a shopping centre. The cabinets are painted mdf and laminate. How do I make them comply to class 0 requirements? Is there a finishing I can give? Any recommendation on where to buy it?

You can buy paint, varnishes and coatings that the supplier will provide a compliance certificates that will provide proof that suitable items if treated according to their instructions will provide a class "O" standard. I would suggest you surf the web with "How do you achieve class O"  and you should get a response from one or more of these retailers.

• 3 months later...

If the item is not upholstered then the Furniture and Furnishings (Fire Safety) Regulations 1988/1989, 1993 and 2010 does not apply and if it is for a commercial premises then the buyer may require it to meet the surface spread of flame standard, otherwise then no.

• 9 months later...
Guest Headboards

Hi I was asked to make a headboard from scratch so need to construct a frame to be upholstered. The foam is compliant and the fabric FR treated, but what about the board /wood as it will be enclosed in the upholstery? Can I use regular materials to construct this or does it need to be fire proof board/treated? Many thanks Jill

• 1 month later...