Are Euro signs the only legal fire escape signs

Guest Ranie

• 2 months later...
Guest BSENISO

Blame building control or the AI's, which are not only responsible for this situation, there are far more serious situations allowed to happen in new build. Check out http://www.crisis-response.com/forum/index.php?topic=6836.0

Well, that university place I mentioned is open now, and it is using the Euro style exit signage on all illuminated signage apart from the one room which has a BS EN ISO illuminated sign. Why use the Euro style illuminated signage for most rooms but one and another standard illuminated sign for one of the rooms? If took over the management of the place I'd ensure all the illuminated signage was BS EN ISO standard being used.

I agree with you and they are in breach of the standards by using two types of sign but I am afraid these problems will continue until the government gets off its backside and revise the Health and Safety (Safety Signs and Signals) Regulations 1996.

Edited by Tom Sutton

A further point worth raising is I see many situations were illuminated signs are not required, a standard sign with an emergency escape light close by, illuminating the sign is all that is needed. Maintained illuminated signs are only required in situation where the normal lighting is extinguisher during the normal use of the room like theatres, cinemas, clubs, entertainment venues and lecture theatres etc.

• 2 weeks later...

A further point worth raising is I see many situations were illuminated signs are not required, a standard sign with an emergency escape light close by, illuminating the sign is all that is needed. Maintained illuminated signs are only required in situation where the normal lighting is extinguisher during the normal use of the room like theatres, cinemas, clubs, entertainment venues and lecture theatres etc.

A lot of that is down to BCO's and specifiers again....

• 2 months later...

Idiots by the sound of it, at the present the so called euro sign are legal but at some time in the future the Signpost to the Health and Safety (Safety Signs and Signals) Regulations will be revised and this person will have to change back to what he had in the first place.

Guest Bseniso
14 hours ago, Tom Sutton said:

Idiots by the sound of it, at the present the so called euro sign are legal but at some time in the future the Signpost to the Health and Safety (Safety Signs and Signals) Regulations will be revised and this person will have to change back to what he had in the first place.

Add to that as well that only two out of all the exit signs at the place were BS EN ISO so they were in violation of the standards by using mixed signage but now obviously only down to one such BS EN ISO sign.

Guest Bseniso
On 20/11/2015, 20:43:44, Tom Sutton said:

True but our hands are tied until the government get there finger out.

How long do you think it will be before no sooner they do that and make the bseniso one the only legal one before another new pictogram standark starts to come into use? It's just I've seen a variant invented but not used here yet where there is a running man with a wheelchair user behind it.

Like this:  https://media.licdn.com/mpr/mpr/p/5/005/0a2/24c/3a71ef9.jpg

Most fire risk assessors do not think it is important the general feeling is that most people understand the signs no matter which one and it is not a serious problem. Unless the government is proded with a pointy stick they will not do anything and until a situation occurs that can be blamed on poor signage nothing will change. (Stable door jumps to mind typical of fire safety legislation) 

• 4 weeks later...

This was never a problem when all signs just said EXIT or FIRE EXIT......

To be fair on fellow fire risk assessors the enforcers aren't too bothered either about mixed signs.

The BS 5499 & ISO signs are similar enough to avoid confusion, admittedly the EC symbol is different (especially if used without the 'man') but is it really enough to make a difference (sign retailers excluded from commenting!). Whilst in tests comprehension of the EC signs was slower than the BS5499 (hence it's international adoption with a little tweak) it was still understood and I'd be worried if your ASET/RSET times were close enough for it to make an impact!

New projects though have no excuse for mixing signs and I picked this up in a new build where they had mixed EC & ISO by using old stock.

Government's don't like new red tape legislation so no doubt it will be left to risk assessors to sort it out!

• 1 year later...

This standard is withdrawn as it is not in line with current practice and technology. It is concerned with the use of radioactive material which has since been subject to changes in disposal certificates and legislation due to the use of radioactive material.

Check out http://shop.bsigroup.com/en/ProductDetail/?pid=000000000000161916

• 2 months later...
Guest exitatwill

Can anybody tell me if self-luminous (tritium) exit signs with the ISO 7010 runningman legend are permitted in the British and EU regulations for marking exits and the path of egress?

• 2 weeks later...

The standard for the legend on fire exit signs are BS EN ISO 7010 and is acceptable for British and EU regulations but if illuminated fire exit signs are required they must be combined with emergency escape lighting and as the electric supply will be available then LED illuminated signs would be a better option considering the price of self-luminous (tritium) exit signs.