Fire extinguisher servicing?

Guest Guest

Hi

Apart from being a legal and insurance requirement the main point is to ensure that fire extinguishers actually work and do not only look nice. The service engineer will also ensure that extinguishers are in the correct location, easy to reach and the right extinguisher for the risk at hand. The refill after five years has been designed to catch lining and rust problems.

That all said we are currently introducing a new range from Britannia (Fireworld) that is guaranteed for ten years and can be self-maintained without service engineers. Watch this space!

Yes, not having ordinary fire extinguishers serviced can be a criminal offence.

Maybe worth mentioning at this point is that, after five years of development, Britannia Fire has now introduced the Fireworld extinguishers, a UK manufactured fire extinguisher that is guaranteed for ten years and does neither require servicing by external engineers nor refilling after five years. These Fireworld extinguishers still must be visually inspected by the owners or their representatives, however no special skills are required.

Unless your business has Fireworld extinguishers installed, a yearly fire extinguisher service must be carried out by competent persons, which usually means a fire service engineer.

• 6 months later...

A responsible Person was jailed for various offences including not testing his extinguishers another reason why you should test your extinguishers. Check out the link.

I think you will find that this guy got jailed for having them serviced by an engineer and the engineer also got jailed ! I wonder how many other people out there have had extinguishers serviced by whay can be described as a rogue trader ?

Fire extinguishers at the hotels had not been tested for three years and was one of the 15 charges, that's why the RP was prosecuted under art 17. The service engineer was charged with conducting 2 inadequate FRA's, I suspect under art 5(3) 5(4) being a person having control. He did not service the extinguishers although that is what his company did.

• 1 month later...
Guest FionaCarr

Hi

I am a landlord with several HMOs. Some of the extinguishers in the buildings are coming up for servicing. Can I argue that certain councils have discouraged extinguishers in HMOs and I should do the same and simply remove all my extinguishers? I could quickly update my fire risk assessment to say i have carefully considered this?

Fiona

Hi

There have been one or two isolated cases where fire brigades and councils have removed extinguishers based on the understanding that the tenants would be unable to use the extinguishers correctly and would be safer to evacuate rather than fight a fire. I am unsure that this reasoning would free you of your liability in court if a small fire breaks out in one of your HMOs that could be handled easily by portable extinguishers and people get injured or killed. Having removed extinguishers would suddenly appear quite unreasonable.

If you are concerned about your tenants using fire extinguishers correctly you should consider portable water mist extinguishers. They can be used on pretty much all risks in a residential building and you will struggle to harm yourself or others with this extinguisher.

Harry

• 11 months later...

Hi Carl

Pre-commissioning or pre-servicing at the internet retailer is unfortunately not permitted. It is in fact explicitly forbidden by the relevant British Standard BS5306-3:2009. And, I would say, for very important reasons as well: The majority of damages to new extinguishers occur during transit (loss of pressure, bent pins etc). Also, when a retailer carries out pre-shipping inspection, you are not covered by your insurance. The insurance requests a certificate to be issued by an approved installer which states that the correct type of extinguishers are installed in the right quantity, in the correct location and that they are in perfect condition. So paying for a pre-shipping commission is actually a waste of money, as the insurance will still not pay out in case of a fire.

If you are a business, landlord or organisation you can still purchase online - just make sure that you find a supplier that offers On-site commissioning of fire extinguishers, also called on-site certification.

Harry