How to replace battery in Kidde Firex smoke alarms?

Guest PaulKeeg

Guest PaulKeeg

Morning

Our smoke alarm started bleeping last night and kept the dog awake! When i checked this morning i could not change the battery. Its connected to mains and its a kidde firex. Anybody can help?

Paul

hi Paul, you are lucky we are in the office :)

There is a range of simple videos to see how the Kidde Firex smoke alarms can be taken of the wall and how the battery is changed.

How to replace the backup battery in a Kidde 4973 optical smoke alarm

Replacing the backup battery in a Kidde ionisation smoke alarm 4870

How to replace the backup battery in a Kidde 4899 heat alarm

I hope this helps

Harry

• 3 years later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...

Hi Annie

I suggest two steps:

1) check the replacement date for the alarm. All mains powered smoke alarms should be replaced after ten years as they can become erratic.

2) make sure there is not a carbon monoxide alarm nearby that has a low charge battery and therefore beeps. These beeps can be very deceiving. To find out, take your Kidde alarm off the ceiling, remove the battery, press the hush button to drain any charge left and listen out for a few minutes.

If this leads to nothing, you will have to replace your alarm. Here a list of Kidde replacement smoke alarms

Harry

• 1 year later...

Hi

I have been in a New build for just over two years and have a Kidde 4MCO alarm.  It was installed in late 2016 and has just started beeping every 60 seconds.  From what I am reading it sounds as if the battery is at end of life, but isn't replaceable.  Is that correct and, if so, should it be covered under the warranty?

• 6 months later...
Guest Bumps

I have tried and tried to get the power plug out of a 1240C and I can not budge it, I have even tried to prise it up with a screw driver! What is the correct way to do this? I am trying to replace it as it is over 10 years old.

Thanks in anticipation

• 3 months later...
Guest Jessica
On 21/07/2019 at 12:01, Guest Bumps said:

I have tried and tried to get the power plug out of a 1240C and I can not budge it, I have even tried to prise it up with a screw driver! What is the correct way to do this? I am trying to replace it as it is over 10 years old.

Thanks in anticipation

Hi I’m having the same problem! In the Video it looks like he is squeezing something but there isn’t anything to squeeze!! Did you figure it out? 

I would suggest you contact the manufacturer to find out, but it could be more serious like the pins have oxidized and there would be no way of removing the smoke alarm other than removing the wiring and fitting a new base plate with smoke alarm.

• 6 months later...

I am trying to replace the battery in the Kidde Firex KF1 smoke alarm and cannot get access to the battery compartment as the cables are almost impossible to remove

any help!

• 1 year later...
Guest Kidde Smoke alarm

i have one and despite instructions to insert a flat blade screwdriver and pull cover - no it doesn't work - bleeping for 4 hours now and can't get cover off - not designed for old fingers that's for sure