Can I give my old bed and mattress to charity without fire safety label?

Guest AimanPop

You can not reasonably be expected to fireproof the mattress retrospectively, however, the Regulations state that the simple distribution of second-hand upholstered furniture and furnishings by a charity in pursuance of its charitable objectives to needy persons, either free of charge or at a nominal amount only, is not considered to constitute a supply in the course of business and hence is exempt from compliance to the Regulations. So the charity should not have an issue accepting the bed.

• 6 months later...

I am moving and want to give my old bed setee to charity . the setee [1991] is marked with the label "Complies withBS7177" and also has a label marked RESISTANT with a flame symbol and a CIgarette, is this ok? Many thanks.

I depends on the the bed settee if it is part upholstered furniture and a mattresses, the upholstered furniture requires labeling according to the Furniture and Furnishings (Fire) (Safety) Regulations 1988 (amended 1989 and 1993) if only a mattresses it should be tested to BS 7177 and is labelled. It looks like yours is only a mattresses therefore meets the requirements but without more information I cannot be certain.

Check out http://www.firesafe.org.uk/furniture-and-furnishings-fire-safety-regulations-19881989-and-1993/ and http://www.fira.co.uk/publications/flammability-guides

• 8 months later...
Guest CarolineFee

Am I allowed to sell some living room chairs to a neighbour or advertize them for sale. Are they allowed to go to a charity, it seems such a shame to send them to the tip.
Caroline

The Regulations apply to upholstered second-hand furniture sold by a person in the course of business of his (including auction). However, they do not apply to furniture manufactured before 1 January 1950.

Because you are not selling in the course of a business, then I would say you are not subject to the regulations, but charities can be and may not accept them. However I would consider the practice is unsafe and I would discouraged it on moral grounds.

The Regulations state that selling upholstered furniture and furnishings to raise funds for charitable purposes constitutes a business activity and hence there is a need to conform to the requirements of the Regulations. Therefore the charity will need to ensure that either the item has complied with the appropriate test(s) as outlined in the Regulations or is fitted with a permanent label which outlines the compliance of the particular item. Items which have not complied with the appropriate test(s) or do not carry a permanent label which outlines the compliance of the item cannot be sold. However furniture manufactured prior to 1950 is outside the scope of these Regulations. The Regulations state that the simple distribution of second-hand upholstered furniture and furnishings by a charity in pursuance of its charitable objectives to needy persons, either free of charge or at a nominal amount only, is not considered to constitute a supply in the course of business and hence is exempt from compliance to the Regulations. This practice is considered to be unsafe, especially in the case of vulnerable and needy persons, and it is to be discouraged. Charities distributing second-hand furniture are also advised to seek assurance that these items conform to the Regulations in the same way that second hand furniture is sold.

• 3 months later...
Guest PeterM

I have been trying unsuccessfully to donate a 3 and 2 seater settee to a local charity but they insist it must have the appropriate fire safety label. The label I have got are square in shape with the wording , Filling(s) and covering fabric(s) meet the requirements for resistance to cigarette and match ignition in the 1988 safety regulations. My question is, is this the correct label.

You require a permanent label which is fixed to each piece of furniture and examples can be found in the guidance document at http://www.fira.co.uk/document/fira-flammability-guide-october-2011pdf.pdf. If you have a display label as well all the better but not necessary only for retailers.

• 3 months later...

Check out http://www.fira.co.uk/document/fira-flammability-guide-october-2011pdf.pdf is states,

Permanent labels need to be carried on all items of furniture with the exception of mattresses divans and bed bases. The labelling specifications for mattresses, divans and bed-bases are covered separately by BS 7177.

Display labelling is required to indicate the ignition resistance of each item of furniture and needs to be attached to all new furniture at the point of sale, with the exception of mattresses, bed-bases, pillows, scatter cushions, seat pads, loose covers (sold separately from the furniture) and stretch covers.

• 3 years later...
Guest grigmay57

British heart foundation have refused to take our bed base due to the fact of fire retardant labels i cannot see any and also our new bed hasn't either should there be some on ?

• 2 years later...

I have a single divan bed I want to give to charity  in excellent condition however, I can only see a fire safety label on the actual base and not the mattress, will they still except it?

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Rose marie

Hi

i am giving my 4 seater couch and 2 chairs to a local charity for free. They in turn give it to Service Users free of charge.... Its in perfect condition however it does not have swing labels on it. ( moved several times so possibly fell off). They all however have the permanent FULL disclosure label attached. Is this ok , i work in homeless and seems a shame if i have to bin perfectly good furniture.....

• 3 years later...
Guest Can I give away ...

I have a child's bed and mattress in perfect condition [and not stained] but too old to have a fire safety label. I know that no charity is likely to accept it, but can I give it away to a private individual [by advertising on something such as Gumtree]? It is a shame to waste something that may be so valuable to a family in need.